Tuesday, July 14, 2009

School's Out Day 21: Happy Birthday Baby!







Two years ago today....I was standing in my kitchen when my water broke. It was a Saturday morning, and I was supposed to have a scheduled c-section on Monday morning. Rolly was at work and Ava (just shy of her 4th b-day) was sitting at the kitchen counter waiting patiently for her breakfast. I won't get into the gory details...but when my water broke, I could see that there was a problem and I ran into the bathroom with my phone to hide from Ava. As I frantically called Rolly, my neighbor (to watch Ava), my mother-in-law, my parents (who were in Maine for my cousin's wedding: Happy Anniversary George and Julie!), my ob-gyn and then eventually 911 -- Ava was out in the kitchen waiting for her breakfast - yelling every few minutes, "MOOOOOOOM, I'm hungry!!! I'm waiting for my breakfast!!!!!" I'd open the bathroom door and yell calmly, "Ok honey, I'll be right there!" Meanwhile I was hysterical and shaking in the bathroom. I couldn't remember the last time I had felt the baby move, but I knew I hadn't felt anything all morning. I remember the panic that set in. When Ava was two I lost a baby at 18 weeks (and they never knew why) and then 6 months later I had an ectopic pregnancy where my fallopian tube was 5 times the normal size before it was detected - my OB-GYN told me I had a guardian angel was lucky to be walking around. Now I was convinced that this baby was gone too. I gently jostled my belly the whole ambulance ride (not even able to answer the EMT's questions) waiting to feel something. The ride to the hospital seemed to take forever. Then as they transferred me from the ambulance gurney to the hospital bed, I felt a big swift kick and burst into tears, I knew that the baby was still alive. I had an emergency c-section and at 11:11 AM out came my baby, "It's a GIRL!" they said. A healthy little girl. It was a feeling of relief and joy that I can still feel in my heart as I type this. I sobbed my heart out. We had no camera with us (forgot the bag in all the panic!!!) but the scene is still vivid in my mind. So today, I celebrate the life of my quirky little monkey...who has made me smile every single day of her two years of life. (see her bathing suit photo, that's when she just turned one -she kept putting my sunglasses on her neck and screaming and my awesome photographer friend Keri captured the moment!)
We have a tradition at our house....we hang streamers on the bedroom doorway of the birthday girl, so all day they go in and out of the streamers. (see pictures). Maddy was so surprised to see them when she woke up this morning (of course she wouldn't remember last year!) and she ran gleefully through the streamers -- giggling, laughing, running back and forth in and out of her room......she kept at it... until I started the video camera rolling. As always, that brought the activities to a screeching halt. Isn't that always the way? That's what is so important about cherishing every moment in life.....because you can never get those moments back. Happy Birthday to my littlest girl -- Madelyn Gail, I love you!

(OK....no more of my soft side)


PS: I'm having a family b-day pool party for the kids this weekend, so mark your calendars for a monsoon, tidal wave, tornado - some sort of natural disaster. If I am involved in the planning of any outdoor activity: b-day party, pool party, block party, day trip (York Beach - remember?) -- it is SURE to at least rain.

PSS: you see what looks like a pile of s*** on her cupcake...that's a turtle shell. Didn't want you wondering about that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment