Sunday, July 5, 2009

School's Out Day 12: Why Watch Me?

My kids are the best. I bring their breakfast outside on the back deck and call it a picnic, and they're as happy as a pig in you-know-what. I thought to myself, "This day is off to a good start." Maddy went in for her nap after lunch and it was time to bask in the glorious sun and play with Ava in the pool. We had races across the pool (I gave her a head start AND let her win), tossed a tennis ball back and forth, even let her push me around the pool while I lounged on a raft. Then it was time for me to relax....or so I hoped. I opened my magazine and was carefully analyzing the transformation of Michael Jackson's face (and color) from 1972 to 2009 only to be interrupted by this loud voice yelling "MOM!! WATCH ME!! LOOK AT ME MOM!! WATCH ME DO THIS MOM!! WATCH THIS! MOM WATCH ME NOW!!" for a solid 40 minutes. I can't decide what's more enjoyable, this "Watch me" phase or Maddy asking "WHY? WHY? WHY?" after everything we say. It's a toss-up. I wouldn't mind...but every time I look-up she's doing the same thing - swimming around and around with her noodle. I hate to be mean, but it's not that impressive. My inner voice (who I struggle with daily) is saying, "Why don't you actually DO SOMETHING and I'll watch you already!!!!!" That's terrible, I know. But really, I want to know: does this happen in your house? Do your kids say "Look at me," multiple times a minute?
(and let it be stated for the record....I do play with her and give her plenty of attention, and she WAS supervised while swimming....my husband was sitting there too...as a matter of fact I should have said, "DADDY wants to see how you can "swim" around and around and around slowly and aimlessly over and over with the aid of multiple floatation devices, so show HIM!")
Great day -- ended with some awesome fireworks in town....then, "Time to go Maddy, fireworks are over"...."WHY?" -- hence went the conversation the whole way home.

No comments:

Post a Comment