Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Hello? The lights are on, but is anyone home?

This is no joke, this is a serious matter. I am really starting to wonder if my girls experienced some sort of head trauma during their cesarean births. Between the August 18, 2009 blog about Ava and ages (check it out in the archives!) , the February 14th "Bonkers" blog and the Feb 5th "Is today tomorrow?" conversation with Maddy....I have some legitimate concerns. And this latest story definitely confirms my suspicions. We got new phones and answering machine, so I thought to myself, "What's cuter than these two little meatballs leaving the outgoing message!?" So I round-em up, tell them the good news, and they're all excited. Ava's going to say "You have reached the Demers family, please leave a message." And Maddy, ON HER OWN, decides she'll say "Have a nice day!" (OMG, so cute, it's like a Hallmark commercial filming right in my own home). Ok, outgoing message TAKE ONE:
Ava: You have reached the Demers family, please leave a message.
Maddy: (silence)
Stop the recording.....we go over our lines again. We get it all squared away, everyone's ready to go now.
outtgoing message TAKE TWO:
Ava: You have reached the Demers family, please leave a message.
Maddy: (pause) (then a whisper...)you have reached the demers family....
CUT
Me: Maddy!!! What are supposed to say????
Maddy: (Sweet happy little voice) HAVE A NICE DAY!!!! :)
Me: That's right!!!! Ok, let's try again, Ava says (blah, blah, blah)...we practice again. Awesome.
I press the record button....outgoing message TAKE THREE
Ava: You have reached the Demers family, please leave a message.
Maddy: (silence).
Me: Maddy!?!??!? Do you not want to do this??? Ava can say the whole thing if you don't want to do it.
She says she doesn't want to do it. So we record Ava doing both parts of the message....outgoing message TAKE FOUR. Got it, mission accomplished. Or, maybe not....
Now Maddy starts crying, "I WAS SUPPOSED TO SAY 'HAVE A NICE DAYYYYYYYYY'!!!!"
Jesus, Mary and Joseph - you have GOT to be kidding me.
Outgoing message TAKE FIVE
Ava: (blah, blah, blah...you know what she says)
Maddy: (meak little crying whiney voice) have. a. nice. day.
Me: MADDDDDDDDDDDDYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!????? Do you want to do this or not!?!?!?
We practice again, she knows I mean business now, I am definitely about to blow a gasket.
TAKE SIX......finally, I get my message. But here's where the worrisome part comes in.
She asks me what this message is for, I try to explain that when someone calls our house they will hear it and leave us a message to call them back. Better yet - I'll show her what I mean. We go in her bedroom and use my cell phone to dial the house phone. Pause....house phone rings. Maddy says: PHONE'S RINGING Mama!
Me: I know Maddy, it's us, we're using Mama's phone to call the house phone.
Outgoing message plays, she smiles. I tell her what to say..."Hi. Call me back." She repeats me.
Daddy (who's playing along) yells from the room with the answering machine, "We have a message!"
Maddy: WE DO!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!??! She comes running.
Hit play....we hear her message "Hi, Call me back" the message says... and she whispers.....
"Who is it??????"

No comments:

Post a Comment