Monday, March 1, 2010

Eat your peas please....







We were standing in the kitchen at my parent's house on Saturday afternoon when my mother decided to make this big announcement, "YOU KNOW, your kids don't eat enough fruits and vegetables. They should be eating all different fruits and vegetables at every meal." THIS - from the woman who lets them have 3 popsicles each within the first 5 minutes she's babysitting and NEVER EVER says "No" to anything when it comes to them. So I thought I'd have her put her money where her mouth was..."GATHER ROUND CHILDREN," I announced loudly (no joke)...."Nana is NOW going to feed you some vegetables!" No one came running over, of course, and she had to lean over and put her head down on the counter-top -- laughing so hard she couldn't even stand-up, clearly realizing how ridiculous she was being! So that night I decided I was going to make Mom proud and feed these kids some broccoli, dammit. I heated up some frozen green giant broccoli florets with cheese sauce (sounds gross, but goes great on a baked-potato!) called the kids to the counter and made my second announcement of the day, "TONIGHT...you are going to try some broccoli." I then lied and told them that I used the cheese from the macaroni and cheese package and put it on the broccoli. Ava made a face and Maddy said, "That yucky." I told them both they HAD to try it. Ava put it on her fork....smelled it, licked it lightly, wiped the cheese off with her napkin, inspected it thoroughly and said, "Ok, I'll count to ten..." She nervously counted to ten, brought the fork close to her mouth and then chickened out at the last second. She counted to ten a second time and as I shouted "Just EAT IT will you!?!??!?!" She took the teeniest tiniest little bite and thrashed her tongue around trying to spit it back out. Ridiculous. Maddy watched in horror, and then it was her turn. She also inspected it at every angle, gave it the hairy-eyeball, cried (real tears) and eventually covered her mouth when I took the fork and tried to make her taste it. So I beg of you, tell me this happens in your house!?!?!
PS: Have they passed legislature naming ketchup as a vegetable yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment