Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Joke's on me...

All the "funny" stories I tell about my children and family....God finally punished me. Joke's on me this time. Here goes...

So I have accounts on all the new "discount" coupon sites....groupon.com, livingsocial.com, restaurant.com, buywithme.com and I was on a good roll. $10 for a $25 gift certificate to my favorite restaurant. $17 for a mani/pedi at a spa near-by, etc. And then came the mother load, the offer of all offers, the offer I had to tell the world about - 50% off of chicken pot pies!!! Yes, you read correctly- $15 for a $30 gift certificate to Harrow's - famous for their chicken pot pies. These things are a staple for dinner at this house. And I know my parents like them too, so I excitedly call my mother to tell her about this deal of a century (could my life get ANY more pathetic at this point). So I try explaining to my computer illiterate mother how to log on to buywithme.com and create an account (super easy - just need email and password!) and how to find/purchase the voucher for Harrow's. Then I realize that I can save her all the trouble and just log into my buywithme account and "refer" her - send her the link directly. AND the kicker - if she signs-up and orders a coupon, I get a $10 credit. Awesome. So I type her name in the space and click "refer." A few hours later, I see all of these emails that my "buywithme link" was undeliverable to the following email addresses...blah blah blah. I'm looking at the email addresses saying, "What the $%^#%^???" I didn't send the link to these people!!! I log back into buywithme and go under "refer a friend" again, and there, right before my eyes....my entire AOL email address book with ALL 248 contacts checked off to receive the link which comes in the form of an email from me saying, "KERI thought you would love buywithme" and then goes on to say that I would receive $10 credit if they signed up and bought something. So I scroll through my email address book, which consists of literally everyone I have sent an email to in the past ten years. Some of the people who received this special chicken pot pie deal via email from me last night...
my current boss...
my old boss...
Assistant Superintendent of Schools...
my brother's ex-wife...
the business office director at the college where I am finishing my CAGS...
my current college supervisor...
my college supervisor from my Master's program 7 years ago...
old co-workers from 10+ years ago...
all the mothers from my daughter's dance competition team...
the secretary at my old job, my current job, and my daughter's dance studio...
my daughter's kindergarten teacher from 2 years ago...
the director/owner of the preschool where my little one goes...
the clown from my daughter's 5th birthday party 3 years ago... (do clowns eat chicken pot pie?)
and Many, many, many unknowns....joemocap??? jupers??? who the hell are these people and why and when did I ever email them?

Oh man. What can you do!?!? The good news -- it was not a virus that I sent out. Or a groupon for stripper pole lessons. And I would like to personally thank the ONE person of the 248 people I sent the link to who actually signed-up. But I can't, because I didn't recognize your email address and have no idea who you are. (no joke).


No comments:

Post a Comment